This article was last updated at 4:12 p.m.
TVO.org reporters and editors are tracking stories about the coronavirus pandemic in all regions of the province. Here's what Ontarians need to know.
- Per today's government report, there are 29,047 cases in Ontario, an increase of 338;
791 people are in hospital, 127 of them in intensive care and 92 on ventilators. To date, 2,312 people have died.
- According to Public Health Ontario's daily epidemiologic summary, there are 169 outbreaks in long-term-care facilities, 5,172 confirmed cases in residents and 1,843 confirmed cases in staff. To date, there have been 1,472 confirmed resident deaths and five confirmed staff deaths.
Premier Doug Ford announced today that the province will be investing $150 million in broadband and cellular service. "Our government is taking action by connecting all schools to broadband, starting with high schools this September 2020 and elementary schools by September 2021," said Education Minister Stephen Lecce. Minister of Infrastructure Laurie Scott added that "by doing their part and staying home to help stop the spread of COVID-19, the people of Ontario have demonstrated the need to be connected to learn, work, and run their businesses."
Stay up to date!
Get Current Affairs & Documentaries email updates in your inbox every morning.
The Supreme Court of Canada has released the details of its plan to hold virtual hearings for the first time in its history. Interested members of the public can register to watch the proceedings via Zoom, though the court notes that this is out of respect for the principle of open courts and that the experience is unlikely to be very different from watching the livestream that has been available online since 2009.
- Ontario is extending the provincial Declaration of Emergency until June 30. "Extending the provincial Declaration of Emergency will allow us to safely and gradually reopen the province, while we continue to use every resource at our disposal to battle this deadly virus," said Premier Doug Ford in a press release. "We are not out of the woods yet, so it is critical that we exercise caution to keep everyone safe, including protecting our most vulnerable citizens in long-term care homes, retirement homes and group homes."
The Ontario Long Term Care Association is calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to quickly negotiate an agreement with the provinces to deliver funds to long-term-care systems so that they can prepare for a second wave of COVID-19.
Mario Possamai, a former senior adviser to the Ontario government's SARS Commission, says that the military's approach to testing troops deployed in long-term-care homes ignores the "importance of asymptomatic transmission."
More than 240 migrant workers from at least five Ontario farm operations have tested positive for COVID-19 so far, according to the Globe and Mail.
Some advocates and legal experts say that the province’s emergency orders allowing first responders, such as police and paramedics, to access personal-health details of people who have COVID-19 open the door to privacy violations.
Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area
- According to today's report, there are 11,652 cases in Toronto, 378 of them in hospital and 83 in intensive care. To date, there have been 152 institutional outbreaks. In total, 845 people have died.
- Toronto mayor Tory said this afternoon that licensed food trucks — including ice-cream trucks and mobile food vendors — are permitted to operate as of today.
- "The City of Toronto will close sections of three major roads this weekend, in total making more than 10 kilometres of roadway available for walking, running and biking, as part of ActiveTO," a press release states. "This weekend, the closure on Lake Shore Boulevard West will return and the Lake Shore Boulevard East closure will be extended east to Leslie Street."
Ten workers on a unit at Hamilton General Hospital that cares for COVID-19 patients have now tested positive.
City of St. Catharines staff have developed a reopening strategy and a financial plan for dealing with the estimated $6.6-million 2020 deficit in 2020. The recovery framework will be presented to council on Wednesday.
The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit is reporting that 164 farm workers at Scotlynn Group in Vittoria have tested positive.
Today marks the one-year anniversary of the release of the final report of the National Inquiry on Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women. NWAC has Elders on the line for people who may need support today.
Dnaagdawenmag Binnoojiiyag Child & Family Services will be holding a virtual powwow on its Facebook page from June 19-21 to celebrate Indigenous People’s Day.
- Ohsweken Public Health is asking community members to keep track of where they have been and who they have been in contact with to help it with COVID-19 contact tracing.
Thunder Bay District Health Unit is reporting a new confirmed case of COVID-19 in the city. The case is not linked to the possible outbreak at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.
The City of Greater Sudbury has earmarked up to $5.5 million from its capital budget to offset the COVID-related deficit.
An additional emergency child-care centre for essential workers has opened in North Bay.
In an online survey launched by the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce, the North superior Workforce Planning Board, the Thunder Bay Community Economic Development Commission and the Northern Policy Institute, 45 per cent of reponding businesses said they've had to close.
Ottawa now has fewer than 100 active cases of COVID-19.
The City of Ottawa has opened public washrooms at five beaches and city parks.
Ottawa hairstylists say that the province's decision to extend emergency orders could derail their businesses. Some fear that customers will cross the river to get their hair cut in Gatineau.
- Cobourg town council has voted to close Victoria Beach until August 31.
The 31st annual Peterborough Folk Festival, scheduled for August 21-23, has been cancelled.
An organizer of a Black Lives Matter rally in London on Saturday tells the London Free Press that she supports the region's medical officer of health's recommendation that people go into quarrantine following the rally to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Chris Mackie, Middlesex-London MOH, says that such a quarrantine would not be mandatory.
Demand for local meat in response to worries about food security during the COVID-19 crisis is keeping abattoirs in the London region busy, the CBC reports.
- Lambton Public Health is reporting a ninth death related to an outbreak at Sarnia’s Vision Nursing Home.
- The Region of Waterloo Library is now providing curbside pickup for holds on library materials. “We’re delighted that there is away to provide access to our collection during these challenging times," Sheryl Tilley, library-services manager, said in a news release.
For more information:
Ontario Hubs are made possible by the Barry and Laurie Green Family Charitable Trust & Goldie Feldman.