For 45 years TVO has been helping to create a better world through the power of learning. Learn about the organization's milestones, award and achievements, and useful documents that chronicle the important role that the organization plays in the lives of Ontarians.
- TVO Educational Blueprint 2017 AODA (PDF)
- Celebrating Today, Building Tomorrow: A Submission from TVO to the "Building the Next Phase in Ontario's Education Strategy" Consultation, July 2014 (PDF)
- Steve Paikin celebrates 20 years at TVO, Oct 2013 (PDF)
- Research from Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) shows two TVOKids educational games improve working memory, June 2012
- In 2012, the Content, Not the Medium is the Message - remarks by Lisa de Wilde, Apr 2012 (PDF)
- Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) shows TVOKids resources help kids to develop key literacy skills, Dec 2011
- TVO's Digital Transformation - remarks by Lisa de Wilde, Nov 2011 (PDF)
- TVO announces five-year partnership with Perimeter Institute to make science more accessible to Ontarians, Sep 2011 (PDF)
- Strategic Agenda 2010 (PDF)
- TVO Answers Call of a Diverse Ontario - remarks by Lisa de Wilde, Dec 2010 (PDF)
- TVO celebrates 40th anniversary, Sep 2010 (PDF)
- Go Public: We All Need to Invest in More Educational TV - remarks by Lisa de Wilde, Feb 2010 (PDF)
- TVO's Response to Standing Committee Report on Government Agencies, Jul 2009 (PDF)
- Standing Committee Report on Government Agencies: Ontario Educational Communications Authority, May 2009 (PDF)
- TVO Today - Using Technology to Build Community - remarks by Lisa de Wilde, Jan 2009 (PDF)
- News Release announcing the naming of The William G. Davis Studio, Nov 2008 (PDF)
- Remarks by Lisa de Wilde, Peter O'Brian at the naming of The William G. Davis Studio, Nov 2008 (PDF)
- Makes You Think - Transforming TVO for a Digital World - remarks by Lisa de Wilde , May 2008 (PDF)
- Strategic Agenda 2006 (PDF)
- Report to Minister Rob Sampson, TVOntario Community Forum Panel, Feb 1998 (PDF)
Awards & Achievements
TVO prides itself on creating high-quality educational content that sets a standard in Canadian media. Every year, TVO receives awards and accolades for its exceptional digital content and products.
Here are some recent highlights:
- In June 2016, Lisa de Wilde was awarded an Honourary Doctor of Laws from Ryerson University.
- The Agenda host, Steve Paikin was awarded a Honourary Laws Degree from McMaster University in June 2016.
- Later in June 2016, Lisa de Wilde was appointed to Expert Panel by Canadian Heritage’s Cultural Review
- Five Promax BDA Local Awards were given to TVO for on-air promos: Remember Me documentary teaser; The Food Chain Cow; Benefits of Learning campaign; The Drop; TVO Image Milestones.
- Migrant Dreams won Best Feature at the Fort McMurray International Film Festival.
- In September 2016, TVOKids series, Hi Opie! and Little Lunch were nominated for the prestigous NHK Japan Prize.
- Popular TVOKids series, Odd Squad won four 2016 Daytime Emmy® Awards: Outstanding Writing in a Children's or Pre-School Children's Series; Outstanding Directing in a Children's or Pre-School Children's Series; Outstanding Costume Design/Styling; and Outstanding Hairstyling.
- TVO won five Canadian Screen Awards in 2016: Donald Brittain Award for Best Social/Political Documentary Program, for the documentary Sugar Coated; Best Host in a Pre-School/Children's or Youth Program or Series; Best Children's or Youth Non-Fiction Program or Series, for TVOKids program Finding Stuff Out; Best Pre-School Program or Series, for TVOKids live-action series Odd Squad; and Best Direction in an Animated Program or Series, for TVOKids series Paw Patrol.
- TeachOntario, an online community for Ontario’s teachers developed by TVO in partnership with the Ontario Teachers’ Federation (OTF), its Affiliates and the Ministry of Education, won the prestigious IPAC/Deloitte Public Sector Leadership Award for outstanding leadership in public policy and management.
- TVO producer/director, Eric Bombicino, won the Access to Energy Journalism Fellowship that supported the research of Eric’s feature article on tvo.org on the Pikangikum First Nation.
- In November 2015, TVO won HOW’s In-House Design award in the non-profit category for the organization’s rebranding campaign.
- In July 2015, Lisa de Wilde was appointed to the Order of Canada for her contributions to public broadcasting, notably for her transformative leadership at TVO.
- Six Promax BDA Local Awards were given to TVO for on-air promos: Odd Squad teaser campaign; The Polar Sea; Out of Mind, Out of Sight; Donate To TVO; Hard Rock Medical Read Through; and TVO Holidays 2014.
- TVOKids received national recognition with three 2015 Youth Media Alliance Awards: Annedroids won the Youth Media Alliance Grand Prize for Best Production; Odd Squad won the Award of Excellence for Best Television Program, All Genres, Ages 6-8 Category; and Hi Opie! Interactive won the Award of Excellence for Best Convergent Website.
- TVOKids programs, Odd Squad and Dino Dan: Trek's Adventures were honoured with a combined three Daytime Emmy® Awards by The National Academy of Television Arts in 2015.
- TVO’s Communications team won an IABC Award of Merit in the Media Relations category for their PR campaign, Hi Opie! Positioning TVO for Back-to-School Success.